AboutUs
News
Career
Donate
Contact

History of the Hospital

  • 2009 - New Elizabeth A. Connelly Emergency and Trauma Center opens, tripling in size the space designated for emergency medicine and incorporating 21st century updates in technology and computerization.

  • 1861 - Founded as a small, one-room infirmary to attend to the needs of the Island's medically-indigent. Population of Staten Island, 25,000.

  • 1864 - Constituted as the Samuel R. Smith Infirmary, and relocated to an old building at the government quarantine station on Tompkins Avenue.

  • 1868 - The trustees' year-end report shows a total number of 88 inpatients and lists 57 of them as "cured."

  • 1869 - The Smith Infirmary is incorporated under New York State law as Staten Island's first not-for-profit voluntary hospital.

  • 1870 - In June, the Infirmary moves into Dr. Smith's former residence on Hannah Street. There were twelve beds, five of which soon became private pay.

  • 1875 - Our very first Charity Ball, to raise funds for the fledgling hospital.

  • 1890 - The Infirmary moves from the small house on Hannah Street to a six-acre site on Castleton Avenue, New Brighton. By the end of its first full year of operation, 346 inpatients and approximately 600 out-patients have been treated. Emerging as centers for healing, hospitals are becoming community resources, and no longer bear the stigma of poverty. During the 1890's much was to happen to revolutionize medicine and surgery. 1890's witnessed the development of anti-typhoid inoculation, the isolation of the hormone adrenaline and, one of America's most important contributions medical knowledge, the discovery of insect-borne disease.

  • 1894 - The first Training School for Nurses opens with a class of eight young women.

  • 1895 - The nurses and administrators of the nursing school, responsive to new developments in the medical field, outfit the hospital's first operating room, and staff it with Operating Room nurses conversant in the practice of "antiseptic sterile technique."

  • 1897 - One year after its development, the first operation using x-ray occurs.

  • 1898 - The United States warships Rio Grande, Leona and Concho sail into New York harbor with wounded from the Spanish-American War. Horse-drawn ambulances from Staten Island Hospital transfer the wounded to the Castleton Avenue facility for treatment. The five boroughs are consolidated into the City of New York.

  • 1904 - A new steam heating plant is built, and phones are added to facilitate communication between hospital buidings.

  • 1905 - An emergency medical service is inaugurated.

  • 1905-06 - The first x-ray darkroom and a new maternity unit with 40 beds are added.

  • 1907 - A second nurses' residence is completed and opened.

  • 1910 - Census places the population of Staten Island at 80,000 plus.

  • 1910-11 - A full conversion from gas to electrical lighting is completed.

  • 1911 - The number of admissions for the year is listed as 3,170, of which 2,153 are surgical cases.

  • 1912 - A motorized ambulance is purchased, manufactured by Chalmers Motors, for $2,800.

  • 1913 -The Infirmary welcomes its first Security Department and launches the Department of Social Services.

  • 1913 - In Ambulatory Care, orthopedic and dental clinics are opened and plans are made for an outpatient psychiatry service.

  • 1916 - The trustees rename the facility "The Staten Island Hospital" because it benefits all Staten Islanders.

  • 1918 - A flu epidemic claims 150 lives on Staten Island. Polio takes the lives of nearly 100 young Islanders.

  • 1925 - A large fund-raising campaign nets over $500,000 for the hospital, and is used to construct modern units.

  • 1926 - Realtor David Tysen contributes $200,000 for the construction of a third home for nurses, the Tysen Home.

  • 1927 - The hospital begins an affiliation with the United States Marine Hospital, Clifton, to train residents in ObGyn and Pediatrics.

  • 1931 - The hospital establishes a very unique blood bank using the blood of 33 donors who had survived bouts with poliomyelitis and thus built some immunity to the disease. A report concerning the matter reads "In all, 90 quarts of blood have been taken and no deaths have occurred at the hospital since the serum treatment was adopted." Staten Island Hospital was later commended by the American Medical Association for its pioneering work with poliomyelitis serum. Feeling the economic pinch of the Great Depression, the chairman of the Training School for Nurses recommends that, in the future, student nurses be recruited without renumeration. Prior to this time, nurses were supplied with uniforms and given a monthly stipend of $18, subsequently reduced to $12.

  • 1941 - At the December 23rd meeting of the board of trustees, held 16 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, a vote is made to establish a Defense Committee, "with the power to act, to confer with and to assist the Superintendent in activities pertinent to the defense program of the hospital."

  • 1946 - On March 7th, the final class graduates from the Training School for Nurses.

  • 1965 - The trustees commission the first feasibility study for the modernization and expansion of the Castleton Avenue facility, and hire an architectural firm to submit a master plan. It appears that the construction of an entirely new complex may make the most sense.

  • 1966 - Dr. Thomas McGinn is hired as the first Director of Medical Education. Within five years, the hospital develops affiliations with several major medical schools - including SUNY Downstate for the training of house staff interns and residents.

  • 1970 - The decision is made to relocate to Ocean Breeze.

  • 1971 - The hospital now has approved residencies in Medicine, Surgery, ObGyn, Pediatrics and Dentistry.

  • 1976 - In September, the board hosts the groundbreaking ceremonies for the new Staten Island Hospital on Seaview Avenue.

  • 1979 - The Staten Island Hospital moves into the new, ultra high-tech facility at its present north campus at 475 Seaview Avenue.

  • 1989 - Following a consolidation of The Staten Island Hospital and Richmond Memorial Hospital, system-wide development begins as Staten Island University Hospital.

  • 1990 - Opening of the Salvatore & Elena Esposito Information & Referral Service for Parkinson's Disease and the Center for Hansen's Disease.

  • 1991 - The Sanford R. Nalitt Institute for Cancer and Blood-Related Diseases opens, followed by the dedication of the Irving R. Boody Jr. Ambulatory Care Pavilion, a 55,000 square foot facility devoted to outpatient care. Community wellness outreach expands with the addition of the school-based clinic at New Dorp High School and the Bay Street Health Center.

  • 1992 - University Hospice, founded in 1987, affiliates with University Hospital

  • 1994 - Launch of our Community Wellness Center in the Staten Island Mall and Primary Care Centers in Brooklyn. Also fostering outreach via the Breast Health Partnership and the Diabetes Education Program.

  • 1995 - Inauguration of our new Center for Women's Health and the start of the Employee Wellness Program.

  • 1996 - We're more "community" than ever thanks to efforts in Community Case Management, the Family Health Center at the Staten Island Mall, the Community Health Service for MRDD and the new Staten Island Partnership for Community Wellness.

  • 1996 - On June 26th, we celebrate our new affiliation with North Shore Health System. As year-end draws near, Staten Island University Hospital is named one of "America's top 100 Hospitals" in a survey reported in Modern Healthcare.

  • 1997 - For the second straight year, Staten Island University Hospital is named one of "America's top 100 Hospitals" in a survey reported in Modern Healthcare

  • 1998 - The Hospital opens a regional Burn Center as a natural extension of the comprehensive trauma services already provided at Staten Island University Hospital. The 10-bed Burn Care unit and outpatient Burn Center provide a full range of services for those who suffer burns, burn-like injuries and fire-related injuries. Plans are announced to construct a new multi-story cardiac surgery center to bring open heart surgery and supporting cardiac procedures to Staten Island for the first time. Plans for an expansion of the Hospital's Radiation Oncology facilities are announced to enhance the Radiosurgery Center's programs and to advance its reputation as one of the elite radiation oncology centers in America.

  • 2000 - The Heart Institute of Staten Island, a joint venture of Staten Island University Hospital and St. Vincents Medical Centers of New York, opens on two floors of a six-story tower built for millennium age medicine at our North campus.

  • 2001 - The first open heart surgery procedure on Staten Island inaugurates the Heart Institute. Doctors' Hospital of Staten Island is acquired by Staten Island University Hospital.

  • 2011 - Doctors' Hospital of Staten Island, which was acquired by Staten Island University Hospital in 2001, is sold to the Board of Education.

  • 2011 - Regina M. McGinn. MD Education Center symbolizes the future of medical and community health education.
© 2014 Staten Island University Hospital. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Notice of Privacy Practices | Compliance & Patient Privacy | Disclaimer