Frequently Asked Questions

Birth Certificates:  How can I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Certified Birth Certificates are issued by the City of New York.  Birth records from 1910 to present may be obtained by contacting:

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
Office of Vital Records
125 Worth Street
New York, N.Y. 10013
Phone: (212) 788-4520

Complaint:  How do I file a complaint?

In order to register your complaint, and begin a formal review, please address the matter, in writing, to:

Staten Island University Hospital
Director, Department of Patient Representation
475 Seaview Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10305

If you wish to speak with a representative, please phone 718.226.8851.

Medical Record:  How do I request a copy of my medical record?

In general, New York State regulations stipulate record retention for a period of 7 years post discharge (21 years for Pediatric records). To find out if your record is available, please mail an original signed letter of request to this address:

Staten Island University Hospital
Health Information Management - Correspondence
475 Seaview Avenue
Staten Island, New York 10305

Please be sure to include enough personal data to conduct the search (example: patient name, address, type of procedure, admission date, physician's name, etc.).

Again, please remember to sign your letter of request. If you have additional questions, the Department of Health Information Management may be reached at 1-718-226-9019.

Volunteer:  How do I become a volunteer at the Hospital?

Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Hospital.  All volunteers are required to complete an interview, submit a health assessment form from your family doctor, and attend orientation.  You must be at least 14 years of age to volunteer. If you are interested in beginning the process, please contact the Volunteer Office at 718-226-9307.