Bloodless Medicine - Approaches
Approaches to bloodless surgery and the technologies available, include the following:
- Preoperative consultation and development of a treatment plan tailored to the individual patient's desires and specifically avoid and prevent blood loss.
- Modification of surgical techniques to specifically avoid and prevent blood loss.
- Selection and modification of anesthesia.
- Perioperative collection and reinfusion of the patient's own blood, using both intraoperative hemodilution and autotransfusion (Cell Saver) devices designed with closed circuits.
- Use of iron and eythropoietin therapy to restore red cell mass both before and after surgery.
- Minimal blood sampling and testing to avoid unnecessary blood loss.
- Surgical Lasers, electrocautery, ultrasonic dissectors, and similar devices employed to reduce blood loss.
- Pharmacologic agents that prevent or reduce introperative blood loss.
Medical and surgical specialties offered at Staten Island University Hospital include all the major disciplines.
Our medical team works in the following specialties:
General / Internal Medicine
Hematology / Oncology
Obstetrics / Gynecology
Plastic and Reconstructive