Medical Weight Loss Program - Diet & Lifestyle
Diet and Lifestyle tips for weight management:
- Eat breakfast! Breakfast “wakes up” your metabolism in the morning. Include protein at breakfast – a handful of nuts, eggs or egg whites, low-fat Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese all contain protein, which helps keep us satiated. Also, we tend to overeat later in the day when we skip breakfast.
- Stay hydrated. We often mistake thirst for hunger. We feel we need a snack, when really we haven’t had enough to drink in the day. Aim for 6-8 glasses of water and sugar-free drinks during the day. Avoid sugary drinks like juice, soda, and sports drinks.
- Get enough sleep. We mindlessly “graze” on snacks when we’re not well-rested. Also, being tired is often a reason we don’t exercise.
- Be active. Being physically active – even if it’s just for 15 minutes a day – helps us focus better, prevents our joints from becoming stiff from sitting for too long, and helps us sleep better at night. It also can help relieve stress. Do what works for you, whether it’s walking, swimming, biking, yoga, dancing… the point is to get moving!
- Don’t skip meals. It’s up to you to decide if you prefer 3 square meals each day or 4 to 5 smaller meals each day. But regardless of what works better for you, it’s important to eat at regular intervals throughout the day. Planning our meals enables us to make healthier choices and to not overeat.
- Fill half of your plate with fruit and/or non-starchy vegetables. These will fill you up and help you cut down on portion sizes of meat and starch without leaving you feeling hungry a few hours later.
- Make time for you. Finding balance in your life is essential when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. Family, work, and socializing are all priorities in our lives that tend to come before ourselves. Write out a loose schedule for your day when possible, and fit in a half hour of “you” time. This can be time to exercise, or simply to enjoy other activities or hobbies that you like.