Psychiatry Residency Training Program
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health Sciences at Staten Island University Hospital (SIUH) is the most active provider of comprehensive mental health services on Staten Island, a borough of New York City with a population of more than 470,000. We are part of a major teaching hospital, with residency programs in all principal medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties, providing direct clinical services, as well as outreach programs, to our community. SIUH is also a tertiary care hospital, and a major component of the North Shore LIJ Health System, as well as the Hofstra North Shore LIJ Medical School, which opened in 2011.
We encourage you to consider applying to our program if:
- you are interested in a personalized, supportive and innovative approach to medical training;
- you prefer a seminar-based educational environment, tailored to individual learning styles, which will integrate clinical experiences with traditional didactic methods;
- you want to be exposed to a wide range of clinical experiences that will equip you to meet the challenges of future psychiatric practice;
- you believe that psychiatry is a medical specialty and that it is important for psychiatrists to have a good fund of medical knowledge, fitting them for practice in the integrated systems of health care delivery that will dominate medical practice in the coming decades;
- you believe that learning evidence-based and clinically tested psychotherapy skills is essential if you want to be a well-rounded clinician;
- you want to be part of a dynamic healthcare system, with a commitment to novel approaches to medical education at its heart, which is focused on creative solutions to our society's healthcare needs;
- you want to learn how to understand psychiatry in the context of community, and in an environment as richly stimulating as only New York City can be.
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Russell Joffe, M.D.
Timothy B. Sullivan, M.D.
Vice Chair, Director of Postgraduate Medical Education
Michael P. Twist, D.O.
Associate Director of Postgraduate Medical Education
Joanne Pietro, R.N.
Joanna Rapuzzi, MBA
Residency Program Coordinator, Psychiatry Residents